Andrew put on a fresh pair of clothes, grabbed his cruches and left his apartment. He entered the unemployment office and sat through being asked stupid questions.
"So Mr. Smiles," said the head hunter. "You worked in the entertainment buisness?"
"Yes."
"What kind of entertainment did you work in?'
"I was a clown in ahte circus."
"Were you fired or let go?"
"The circus closed."
"Why have you not been able to work in the last monthe?"
"The cirus closed and I was in a car accident."
"Was anyone hurt?'
"My wife died and I broke my leg and a few ribs."
"Were you liable for the accident?"
"No, we were hit by a drunk driver."
"Have you recieved any benifits?"
"No, I filled all this paper work out with my insurent agient. Can you please find me a job or not?"
"I can find ou a small job but because of your inguries you can't work for another two weeks. Thank you for coming."
Andrew sighed and left. "Tipical," he thought, "no one helps anyone anymore. I can't even get restitution for the accident." He returned to the apartment building.
"Andrew!" shoughted Ms. Rockwell. "Did you get a job yet?"
"I can't because of my busted leg."
"God damn it Andrew, if you hadn't married my cousin, I'ld kicked you out of here a while ago!"
"I know Beth! I know," he sighed.
"Why is your hair so greasy?"
"Can't shower with a cast."
"You couldn't even shave to make yourself look decent. Your a reck with out Ely." Her words felt like an open wound to him. "Come on Andrew I'll take care of you."
She brought him into her apartment, sat him by the kitchen sink and began washing his hair.
"You know I always had to do this with Ely when she was little. That girl could never keep her hair strait and clean. Always had paint or leaves in it at one time or another. She was always such a strange one, spent all her time running around outside painting. And she loved the circus, always loved to laugh. Thats why she fell in love with you. You know that right?"
"She really did love to laugh," he sighed. "She always had a reason to smile>"
"So why can't you?"
"Whats there to smile about? I'm 40, out of a job, no one is going to hire a guy in a cast, Ely is dead and I haven't recieved any benefits to pay you for the apartment. Plus there is a dog out side my apartment that wont stop barking."
"Mr. Crocker said his wife was talking about a dog. Maybe you should get a pet."
"I can't take care of one."
"When do you get your cast off anyways?"
"This week."
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment